Physiotherapy is a health discipline that focuses on physical treatment or management of conditions that limit a person’s ability to perform normal activities.
Physiotherapists treat conditions of the musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory and neuromuscular systems using various modalities such as heat therapy, cryotherapy, ultrasound, rehabilitative exercises and soft tissue manipulation among others.
They work with individuals to prevent loss of mobility before it occurs, or recover from serious medical conditions such as coma, accidents, developmental and other disabilities by developing programs that promote healthier and more active lifestyles without the use of drugs.
At Chiropractic & Physiotherapy Health Centre, we offer the following kinds of physiotherapy treatment;
- Therapeutic exercises – aimed at improving joint mobility, muscle tone, strength and function.
- Electrotherapy – Includes ultrasound, TENS,IFT, shortwave diathermy; aims at muscle relaxation, pain relieve, nerve stimulation and increased circulation.
- Cryotherapy – Use of ice and ice packs. In acute conditions, it reduces pain and swelling.
- Thermotherapy – Heat therapy includes continuous shortwave diathermy, warm packs and
- Infrared rays – This improves circulation, relieves pain and enhances healing.
- Therapeutic manipulation and manual therapy – done manually or by traction or mechanical massage;induces relaxation, breaks muscle tension and adhesion
Common conditions requiring physiotherapy include:
- Neurological conditions e.g strokes, paralysis and general body weakness.
- Back and neck pain, arthritis, rehabilitation, breath retention, congestive chest conditions and assisting in postural drainage.
- General body strengthening by use of gym equipment exercise.