Increasingly in this technological age, individuals are experiencing greater levels of spinal discomfort and disability related to stress and poor posture. Many people commonly work and play in cramped, awkward, slouched postures. The resulting pandemic of work and recreation-related chronic spinal disorders compromises the quality of our lives. Every year spinal disorders and back pain result in expenditures and losses of billions of shillings related to health care fees and diminished individual income and productivity.
Closely following the Global Alliance of Musculoskeletal Health who launched Bones and Joints Decade in 2000, Chiropractic and Physiotherapy in mid 2015 launched ‘Straighten Up Kenya’. This initiative is to educate, empower and mobilize the public to “Straighten Up” and care for their posture and spinal health daily.
- Raising awareness of the burden of musculoskeletal conditions
- Increasing knowledge of the suffering and costs of musculoskeletal conditions
- Empowering people to prioritize their own care
- Providing access to supportive information
- To promote an interdisciplinary, collaborative approach to easing the burden of spinal disorders.
- Create awareness and educate the public on proper posture, ergonomics and habits to prevent musculoskeletal problems
- Treat those who are affected
- Increase productivity and man hours among the populace
HOW DO WE DO IT
- Health Talks/Ergonomic Counseling – Many of the musculoskeletal disorders today e.g back pain, neck pain etc are accumulative effects of poor habits over months, years or even decades. Changing habits is crucial to maintaining good musculoskeletal health. The health talks include:How to Sit
- How to sit
- How to stand
- How to sleep
- How to lift
- Ergonomic Assessments- We should all ensure our work place offers us the support to maintain proper posture because it is where many of us spend 7-16 hours in a day. These assessments are tailored to ensure comfort and safety at the workplace which improves productivity and provides a motivating environment.
- Spine check-ups- This is done through corporate and general public medical camps. It is also carried out every Saturday at our clinics. It includes:
- Posture Analysis
- Muscle Tension Analysis
- Pelvis Stability Check
- Mobility/Functionality Tests
- Nerve and Muscle Tension Scans